Calorie shifting has become a revelation in dieting over the last few years. The concept is simple and works on the premise that your body adjusts its fat burning furnace dependent on your calorie intake. In order to maximize weight loss it is suggested that you eat a higher number of calories every few days and less calories on the other days. Also by rotating the types of foods you eat you can gain maximum benefit from this type of calorie shifting diet.
The first thing you need to do when using any calorie shifting diet is establish a baseline calorie intake based on your maintenance level.
Now, an example of a calorie shifting type diet would be the following:
Week 1. Eat 20% less than your baseline level on Tuesday and Thursday, the rest of the week stay at the baseline level.
Week 2. Eat 15% more than your baseline two times this week, on Wednesday and Friday.
Week 3. Eat 25% less than your baseline on the Monday and Thursday of this week.
Week 4. Eat 10% more than your baseline level on the Wednesday and Saturday of this week.
When you use the calorie shifting method and lose weight, every couple of weeks you should reassess your maintenance level as this could rise or decrease dependant on weight loss. Your body will adapt to consistent patterns, calorie shifting keeps your metabolism constantly guessing, making it more efficient. The beauty of this type of diet is that it is very organic and can be moulded in a whole host of different ways, you can even set yourself an occasional cheat day whereby you allow yourself to eat all those foods that you enjoy so long as you don’t go overboard.
So now we know what calorie shifting is all about, what are the pros and cons:
1. Calorie Shifting is extremely easy to use, especially if you adhere to an expert menu generated by a professional company, such as Fat Loss 4 Idiots.
2. Food in these types of diets is often ordinary and can be purchased cheaply at your local supermarket.
3. You don’t have to worry about starving on these types of diet – generally you will be eating 4 meals per day.
4. Weight loss comes fast – some programs have seen their clients lose as many as 9 lbs in 11 days!
5. These calorie shifting programs allow you to lose weight without exercise (although by completing regular exercise you will lose weight faster!).
1. As with any diet – you need commitment to follow the set menu and not deviate.
2. Oftentimes these calorie shifting diets lack essential vitamins and minerals. Vegetables and fruit are sometimes in short supply.
3. Fast weight loss can lead to fast weight gain should you stop the diet and go back to an unhealthy one. Science recommends losing only 1-2 lbs per week as this allows lipid cells to shrink in size more effectively. The rapid fat loss that goes with a calorie shifting diet could be deemed unhealthy if used constantly.
4. Calorie Shifting isn’t recommended for everyone. Pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid these types of diets.
Calorie shifting definitely works, but you must make sure that the diet you use is top quality. If your current diet is poor, you aren’t going to change too much by utilizing calorie shifting – find a good diet and follow it consistently for three months at least. Then you will notice you lose weight faster than ever.
Ultimately you are in charge of your weight. Get committed and you will see dramatic results. Good luck and feel free to leave your comments.