Keeping the eyes healthy becomes increasingly important as we age. Eye health supplements are designed specifically to provide your eyes with a sufficient supply of all the nutrients needed to keep your vision healthy.
Your eyes need certain nutrients to keep them functioning properly and to prevent the adverse impact of free radicals. A healthy diet should provide you with most of the nutrients required to maintain not just good eyesight but also good health in general. However, if your diet is lacking, vision supplements can ensure that you are getting everything you need to keep your eyes healthy.
Nutrients that help maintain eye health
Listed below are some of the nutrients that have been found to play important roles in maintaining eye health and aid in a proper functioning of the eyes.
- Vitamin A (beta carotene): Is necessary for color vision and night vision. It also contributes to a healthy immune system.
- Vitamin C and E: Antioxidant effects protect the body from free radical damage.
- Lutein: A carotenoid which protects the eyes from oxidative stress. Studies support that it also proctects the eyes from age-related macular degeneration and lowers the risk of cataract development.
- Zeaxanthin: Helps to maintain a healthy retina and protects against oxidative stress in the eye’s lense.
- Taurine: Essential for the development and function of the retina.
- Flavonoids: Plant pigments with powerful antioxidant activity found in many fruits and vegetables.
- Bilberry: High in flavonoids and a common treatment for many varieties of retinopathy.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: Protects nerve cells in the retina, keeps eyes moist and reduces the risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD).
- Zinc: Supports nerve function in the eyes and helps reduce age-related macular degeneration.
- Lycopene: A carotenoid with powerful antioxidant properties.
Choosing eye health supplements
There are many different eye health supplements to choose from. Some contain individual nutrients, such as bilberry or lutein supplements. Many general health multivitamins contain nutrients that also contribute to healthy vision. However, if you are looking for something that is specifically aimed at maintaining or improving eye health, the best value for your money is to buy a supplement that contains many or most of the nutrients mentioned above.
How to use eye health supplements
As their name suggests, eye health supplements should be used to supplement a healthy diet, not to replace it. Unfortunately, many people’s diets aren’t as healthy as they should be. Using supplements supplies you with the nutrients needed to maintain eye health.
When using supplements, it’s always important that you don’t exceed the recommended dosage. If you have a medical condition or are on any form of medication, you should always consult your doctor or health care specialist before taking supplements.
Recommended eye health supplements
Vision Support was designed specifically to maintain good eye health. It contains most of the vitamins and herbs that are associated with healthy vision including lutein, taurine, bilberry, zinc and lycopene.
This doctor approved and low priced vision supplement ensures that you get all the nutrients you need to keep your eyes healthy.