What is the cause of this suffering?
Insomnia impacts lives of many people around the world. Irrespective of whether the cause of insomnia is the underlying sleep or medical disorders, a poor sleep quality could be really irritating and could ruin an individual’s overall social as well as personal life.
The gravity of the problem can be gauged from the findings of United States Department of Health and Human Services Survey of 2007; which clearly indicates that about 64 million Americans suffer from some or the other form of insomnia. In order to cure insomnia from its root, you need to first know the main causes of sleeplessness.
Causes of insomnia can be broadly classified into three major sections depending upon their inherent natures. Let’s take a quick overview of all the possible factors at play:
Physical Causes Of Insomnia
- Hormonal changes like those that occur due to menopause, menstrual cycles or pregnancy in females; reduced sleep hormone (melatonin) secretion due to old age, or hyperthyroidism- could all make the hormonal patterns in the system go haywire and affect the sleep pattern in the process. These types of hormonal changes are the most common causes of insomnia in women.
- Medical causes of insomnia such as rheumatoid arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, restless leg syndrome, high blood pressure, cardio vascular complications could all carry with them the risk of bearing insomnia as an accompanying symptom. Pain caused due to certain diseases or medical conditions could also lead to insomnia.
- At times, genetics could also play a role in triggering sleeplessness. Fatal familial insomnia is a rare genetic condition that is a classic example of the role of genetics in this context. Once we get older, genetics could be one of the causes of insomnia in adults.
Psychological Causes Of Insomnia
Anxiety, stress, and depression are the major psychological contributors to the lack of a good night’s sleep for the most people. The reasons behind these could be anything- stress over an incomplete daily chore, a familial conflict, unsatisfactory sex life, worries about finances, relationships or anything at all. Inability to unwind at the end of the day causes insomnia, leading to a situation where your body demands rest, but your mind simply cannot allow that luxury to itself.
Temporary Factors Or Transient Reasons Causing Insomnia
At times, the root of a sleeping disorder could rest in trivial modifications or changes that take place in one’s life, which otherwise go unnoticed. These could be:
- Change in work shifts that could alter one’s body clock.
- Change in surrounding environments like changes in room settings (too bright or too dark), exposure to extreme temperatures or noises.
- Sudden inclusion or exclusion of alcohol, caffeine, nicotine, or certain medications in one’s routine.
- Certain habits like watching television at night, surfing on the internet before going to sleep, or too much exercise immediately before going to bed.
Irrespective of whether you suffer from transient, acute or chronic form of insomnia, you should be aware of the factors that actually cause sleeplessness, because suffering from a condition that can be easily treated is definitely not a good idea. Take a good look at all of the causes of insomnia shown above and try to eliminate them for better night’s sleep. It is also important to stay informed about all of the insomnia cures out there.