Normal hair growth occurs in a cycle and the standard cycle of hair growth lasts for about 2 to 3 years. Each hair grows approximately ½ inch or 1 centimeter per month during this phase. As your hair grows, about 90 percent of the hair on your scalp is growing at any one time.
The other 10 percent of the hair on your scalp is in a resting phase. After about 3 to 4 months, the resting hair falls out and new hair starts to grow in its place and the cycle start all over again.
Things that impact the growth of your hair besides genetics, is the overall condition of your health, how you take care of your hair and what environmental impacts you are exposed to.
While there is no magic pill to give you fast overnight hair growth, there are steps you can take and proven methods to boost your natural growth. Below are ways to help you promote a healthier scalp and to stimulate more vigorous hair growth. In no time, your hair will be in optimum condition and you will notice a different in your growth rate as your hair condition improves.
Take these Steps to Longer Healthier Hair
- Proper nutrition is critical to maintain a healthy scalp and blood flow. Eating antioxidant rich fruits and vegetables along with those containing vitamins A, C and E will improve your circulation, contributing to healthy hair. Foods containing the B vitamin, pantothenic acid can help in preventing hair loss. Foods with niacin promotes scalp circulation. Adding fish to your diet will provide the essential fatty acids needed to make keratin which is the protein in your hair.
- One of the best dietary supplements you can take for hair growth is Biotin. Biotin has been shown to improve thin, damaged hair and nails and promotes hair growth. Be cautious when taking Biotin supplements, however, because large doses can cause cystic acne in some people.
- Another popular supplement that promotes hair growth is called MSM which is a naturally occurring source of organic sulfur that is easily absorbed into the body. Amazon.com is full of testimonials from people who have had success with both this supplement and Biotin.
- Protein is also essential for the development of keratin in your hair. Drinking shakes made from protein powder, the same protein powder used by body builders, may help to accelerate your hair growth if you’re not getting sufficient lean protein to do the same in your diet.
- 5) Try not to shampoo every day if you don’t have to. If you can shampoo every other day or three times a week, it will help strengthen your hair. Rinse your hair when shampooing with luke warm or cool water as hot water opens the hair shaft stripping it of protective coatings and causing it to dry out.
- Massaging your scalp when you do wash your hair will stimulate your scalp and improve circulation.
- Nourish your hair and minimize any breakage by applying a conditioner (specifically for your hair type) to the ends of your hair. An intensive leave-on therapy, like a hot oil treatment, should become part of your weekly regimen. Heat from a hot oil treatment opens up the hair cuticles, allowing the moisturizer to penetrate the hair shaft.
- Consider a natural herbal growth stimulator like rosemary, lavender and sage in one tablespoon of sea buckthorn oil. Rosemary will strengthen and stimulate your hair follicles. Lavender controls the production of sebaceous gland oil and stimulates your scalp. Sage has antioxidant properties.
- To prevent your hair from breaking when you style, use a wide-tooth comb for removing tangles. Avoid brushing wet hair, which easily stretches. Don’t damage your hair by using a high-temperature setting on your blow dryer or curling iron.
- If you tie your hair back, be sure to use covered elastic bands or butterfly clips to prevent breakage.
- Since our hair grows faster in the warmer summer months, be sure to wear a hat to protect it from sun damage, wind damage and other environmental exposure.
- By trimming your hair on a regular basis, you will help your growth by keeping ends strong in lieu of allowing dry ends to split and break. Your hair will look thicker with a blunt end trim.
- In lieu of using permanent hair colors with damaging ammonia, consider highlighting your hair or by using a henna. Henna is an herb that stimulates healthy hair growth. Perms and relaxers break will break chemical bonds in your hair and work against your hair growth.