Summertime can be tough on your skin. While a lot of people think that the colder winter months are the only time that you really need to take care of your skin, this is not the case. Summer can present unique issues for your skin. But following the tips below will help you maintain your summer glow. Your skin will love you for it.
1. Cover up – The sun can be rough on your skin. And the more sun you get, the higher your risks of skin cancer. So when you head out into the sun, cover up. Wear long sleeves, pants and a sun hat. And try to wear only natural fabrics like cotton and bamboo. They breathe easier so that you don’t have to worry about sweating a lot and getting a heat rash.
2. Sunscreen(often) – If you do head outdoors without covering up, make sure that you have sunscreen on, something in an SPF of 15 or higher. Apply it about half an hour before you go out. And make sure that you reapplying it about every one or two hours, more often if you are exercising, swimming or sweating a lot. And be kind to your lips, too. Buy a lip balm with an SPF of at least 15 and use it often.
3. Moisturize – Some people think that because their skin isn’t as dry as it is in the summer that they don’t need to moisturize. This couldn’t be further from the truth. You still need to moisturize in the summer. But you’ll want to put away your heavier creams and body butters. Stick with something light and easy to absorb, like a gel or puree. Apply after you’ve dried off from your shower or bath to help keep your body’s moisture in. You can also reapply throughout the day as needed.
4. Exfoliate – You know that flaky, dead skin that you get in the winter? Well it doesn’t just go away once the warmer weather hits! You need to continue exfoliating in the summer if you want healthy, glowing skin. But like your moisturizer, you don’t need a heavy duty exfoliant in the summer months. Opt for something that is more sugar based than salt based.
5. Hydrate – Making sure that you’re getting enough water in the summer isn’t purely about your health. Being hydrated is also good for your skin. So keep a bottle of water with you at all times and make sure that you are getting your eight glasses a day in (equals about 2 litres).
6. Lighter make-up – When the weather warms up, put away any heavy concealers, foundations, lipsticks and eye shadows that you were using. Not only will they feel heavy on your face, but they won’t stay put for very long in the hot weather. Switch to a light tinted moisturizer with an SPF and for your lips try a tinted gloss or lip balm.
7. Sleep – Regardless of the season or the temperature, getting enough sleep can do wonders for your skin. Being well rested can help reduced not only the dark circles under your eyes, but also stress, which can be disastrous for your skin. So while the days are longer and there’s more to enjoy in the evening in the summer, make sure you’re getting your eight hours a night. They don’t call it beauty sleep for nothing!
Follow these tips and you’ll ensure that your skin stays healthy and glowing through the heat and humidity of the summer months. Which of these tips do you swear by? What are your secrets for healthy summer skin?
Originally posted 2016-11-05 16:59:08.