High protein diets can cause bad breath. It occurs because ketones build up in the blood. Ketones are chemicals produced by the body when it uses fat instead of carbohydrates as fuel. Ketones produce an odor. This odor is on your breath and it is also in your urine and perspiration. Drinking plenty of water helps ketones to leave the body through urine while diluting their concentration in the mouth.
Ketones are also associated with diabetes. It is best to consult a healthcare professional because you may have undiagnosed diabetes or a problem in controlling your diabetes. The ketones can build up in the blood of a diabetic which can quickly become a life threatening situation.
Why go on a high protein diet? Body builders use high protein diets to increase muscle mass quickly. Dieters go on high protein diets to lose weight. Some of these diets may be fad diets and the person did not realize the consequences of the diet.
If you are on a high protein diet, it is possible to add some carbohydrates. There are vegetarian forms of high protein foods which have healthy proportions of carbohydrates. An example is beans. They have a lot of protein and just enough carbohydrates to prevent the incomplete burning of stored fats.
It is best to seek the advice of a healthcare professional before starting a weight loss program.
Breath Health: Symptoms of Bad Breath (Halitosis)
Bad breath affects the way you interact with others. In a social situation, at a party or on date, someone may offer you a breath mint or gum before they talk to you. The person you are interacting with may take several steps back from you. If you go for a job interview, the interviewer will sit as far away from you as possible. The interview will be short.
You may not always know if you have bad breath. The cells in your nose that detect odors become accustomed to the smells. Some medical treatments such as chemotherapy also dull the sense of smell. Ask a friend or your spouse.
How can you tell if you have halitosis?
- Check your teeth and gums. If your teeth are coated with plaque or you have swollen gums, you are practicing breath health.
- Floss your teeth and smell the floss. If it smells bad, you have bad breath.
- Look for dried food trapped between your teeth. Large particles can be seen by the naked eye. Or, you may feel them if you run your tongue across your teeth, back and front. If you feel you need a toothpick, you have trapped food and need to brush and floss.
- Infections in the mouth are a symptom of bad breath. Check your gums to see if they are red or swollen. Another sign of infection is if your gums bleed after brushing and flossing.
- Other problems in the mouth which are symptoms include loose teeth, dentures not fitting properly, an abscess on a gum, and sores on your tongue.
- Dry mouth is another symptom. Dry mouth creates the inability to speak for a prolonged period of time. You need to have a drink of water before continuing.
- Medical conditions such as diabetes, liver disease, or kidney failure can cause bad breath. Some of the medications used to treat these diseases also cause the problem.
Practicing breath health by having a good dental hygiene regimen can relieve the symptoms of bad breath. This includes brushing and flossing after eating. You should have regular checkups with your dentist. Discuss medical problems with your doctor.
Finding the Right Cure for Bad Breath
Bad breath can be treated effectively if the cause is known. It is a condition that affects most of us at some time. But there are people who have chronic bad breath and may need to seek medical advice from their dentist or doctor before they can cure their problem.
Bad breath can be caused by smoking, ill-fitting dentures, food, dry mouth, and bad oral hygiene. If you are experiencing bad breath due to one of these problems, you can take simple steps to alleviate it.
Chronic bad breath is cause by smoking because of its smell and it also can lead to gum disease which causes bad breath. To prevent the risk of gum disease and chronic bad breath caused by smoking, it is recommended that you quit.
A regular breath health routine should be established for cleaning your dentures. Food particles can get caught between the teeth. If your dentures are not cleaned regularly, bacteria will grow in your mouth.
Eating foods such as onion and garlic can cause short-term bad breath. You can mask the odor by eating a sprig of parsley, cloves, or peppermint. The odor originates in your intestinal tract and will leave your body naturally in about 24 hours.
When your mouth is dry, bacteria will grow. Drinking eight glasses of water daily and eating fresh fruits and vegetables will keep the mouth moist. Saliva is needed to cleanse the mouth of bacteria. A regular breath health routine when you have dry mouth and will also help to alleviate the problem.
Good breath health can not be over stressed. It is the number one way to make sure you do not have bad breath caused only anaerobic bacteria. Brushing, flossing, cleaning your tongue, and rinsing your mouth on a regular basis will eliminate the oral bacteria.
If you have tried one or more of these simple remedies and you still have bad breath, you should seek professional advice to find the true cause of your problem.
Originally posted 2016-12-01 12:50:26.