What causes most people to give up on their diets? They can’t eat what they want, so finally they give in to their cravings and cheat. The 90/10 plan offers a solution to the tendency to give up on dieting. This diet plan helps you lose weight, makes you healthier, and even lets you eat chips, cookies, and ice cream. The 90/10 plan is a weight loss philosophy based on the concept that approximately 90 percent of the time you will be enjoying a balance of healthy and nutritious foods, while the remaining 10 percent of your time you can consume Fun Foods to keep you happily motivated to stick with your weight loss goal.
The book includes three dieting plans – 1,200-calorie diet, 1,400-calorie diet, 1,600- calorie diet – based on the amount of weight you want to lose, the rate at which you would like to lose it, your dieting history, and the amount of exercising you are willing to commit to doing each week. Each of the plans are adjusted to provide approximately 50 percent of total calories from quality carbohydrate, moderate amounts from lean protein, and limited amounts of fat. The weight loss plan includes no diet pills or diet supplements.
Fun Foods (chocolate, cookies, chips, ice creams, and any other delicious goodie) – the key is to make sure that you are enjoying the right amount of your Fun Food each day. Be a stickler for portion size. A complete list of portion sizes for Fun Foods is included in the book.
Under this diet plan, you may drink unlimited plain coffee or tea throughout the day.
Calorie Breakdown for the 1,400-calorie plan – the most popular weight loss formula
- Breakfast: 250 calories
- Lunch: 350 calories
- Snack: 100 calories
- Dinner: 450 calories
- Fun Food: 250 calories
Day in 1400-Calorie Plan – Sample Meal Plan
(Enjoy one Fun Food at the time of day of your choosing)
- 2 slices toasted, reduced-calorie, whole-wheat bread, with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- ½ banana (or 1 orange or ½ grapefruit)
- Coffee or tea (skim milk optional)
- Large tossed salad
- ½ regular-size whole wheat pita bread
- Water or seltzer
- Frozen fruit pop of your choice (100 calories or less)
- 3-ounce turkey burger (or frozen veggie burger)
- 1 cup steam green beans
- Water or seltzer