One of the all time favorite fruits is apple. The origin of apples is not clearly known. It is believed that it originated in Western Asia. There are also records of apple crops in Egypt and in other Caspian Sea civilizations.
Apple is believed to have existed since the earliest human life started. In the Bible, apple was interpreted as a forbidden fruit that Eve enticed Adam to share it with. Even in the modern literature and mainstream media, apple represents the forbidden love of a fictional vampire Edward Cullen and a girl named Bella on a young-adult vampire-romance novel, Twilight.
In traditional medicine, apples are called as the body’s broom. This is because apples act as a cleansing agent to remove toxins and other wastes in our body. Presently, the concept of apples as a cleansing food is now supported by the fact that it contains fiber, antioxidants, and fruit flavonoids.
Aside from its fabulous flavor and ideal portability, this simple fruit offers numerous health benefits. Listed below are the topmost reasons why one should have a daily dose of apple:
- Apple gives you whiter and healthier teeth. This must not be taken literally by replacing your toothbrush with apples, but biting and chewing an apple can stimulate production of saliva in the mouth. Saliva lowers the level of bacteria inside the mouth, thus reducing tooth decay.
- Apples make you effortless breathing. Recently, studies show that children of women who eat apples during pregnancy are less likely to wheeze. This prevents the child to develop asthma upon reaching the age of 5. Apples also play role in protecting the lungs of adults Apples lower the risk of developing asthma, lung cancer, and other diseases that affect the respiratory system.
- Apples will get you easily full. Apples are firm and loaded with fiber. When eaten, they demand a chewing commitment. This will give your body enough time until your satiety center gives signal that your body is already full. This will more likely forbid you to munch more calories. Also, the natural sweeteners that can be obtained in apples help in keeping blood sugar and insulin levels stable. This makes you will feel energetic and full longer as well.
- Apples decrease the incidence of diarrhea and constipation episodes. Fiber and fruit acids found in apples are great help in countering diarrhea and constipation. Fiber is a usual remedy in preventing diarrheal episodes. On the other hand, fruit acids in apples are responsible in preventing and treating constipation.
- Apples shed off cholesterol. Pectin and polyphenoids seen in apples can assure low blood cholesterol levels and prevent oxidation of bad cholesterol. To achieve the optimum benefit, eat apples including the fruit’s skin. The skin provides two to six times the antioxidant compounds than the flesh itself.
- Apples fight cancer. Studies prove that consuming apples reduce the risk of developing cancer cells. Munching more than one apple in a day lowers the risk for several cancers up to forty percent.
- Apples make you smarter. According to studies, apples are believed to boost up the production of acetylcholine. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that sends message between nerve cells, keeping your brain sharp. Apples are also memory enhancers and aside from that, may be helpful in lessening the risks of developing Alzheimer’s disease.