Vitamin K Foods – Essential Foods For The Body High In Vitamin K
Vitamin K is one of an essential vitamin which is needed for blood clotting and protein modification. It also helps in building of bones and protection of heart. Recent studies have shown that ‘Vitamin K Foods‘ rich in vitamin k helps in treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis and consuming increased amount of Vitamin K can even protect from cancer problems.
There is no known risk of Vitamin K toxicity, so you cannot find a reason to not to eat a lot of it. Currently, the recommended dose of Vitamin K is 80 micrograms (μg).
Bacteria in our gut can make around 50 % of Vitamin K, but rest 50% has to come from somewhere. As our body cannot make Vitamin K, so rest of the Vitamin K can be obtained from food.
10 Essential Vitamin K Foods rich in Vitamin K are listed as follows:
- Dark Leafy Vegetables:- Kale, spinach, lettuce, turnip green, mustard green… are dark leafy vegetables which are not only rich in Vitamin K, but also in calcium.
- Broccoli: – It is one of the favorite vegetable with everyone. In 100 grams serving, it contains around 141 μg of Vitamin K.
- Herbs (Fresh and Dried):- As most of the herbs are used for medicinal purposes- it are packed with nutrients which includes Vitamin K. Dried basil, dried thyme… contains around 175 μg of Vitamin K per 100 grams serving.
- Spring onions: – They are mainly used as a topping on stew or soup and also main ingredient in salads. It contains 207 μg of Vitamin K per 100 grams serving.
- Spices:-Spices like paprika, curry powder, chili powder contains around 106 μg per 100 grams.
- Asparagus: – It is eaten best in steamed form and 100 grams of Asparagus provides 80 μg of Vitamin K.
- Cabbage: – Used in salads and also in cooked form contains around 76 μg of Vitamin K per 100 grams.
- Prunes: – They are not only rich in Vitamin K, but also in fiber, zinc, and iron. 100 grams of prunes provide 60 μg of Vitamin K
- Pickles: – One of the reasons you will likes pickles more, as they are rich in Vitamin K. 100 grams of it provides 77 μg of Vitamin K.
- Brussels sprouts: – A delicious snack, which helps to prevent a hangover is packed with Vitamin K. 100 grams of Brussels sprouts give 194 μg of Vitamin K.
So You can see the taste you are getting out of Vitamin K Foods along with the essential nutrients required for your healthy body and mind. Happy Appetite!
You can also get the full benefits of Vitamin K by taking supplements with your diet as well.
Originally posted 2016-12-08 15:20:49.